Melissa Sommers, MBA '08
Melissa Sommers, MBA 08

Friday, November 23, 2007

Happiness, success and sadness

Where has the time gone? It's amazing how quickly three weeks can go by around here. And yet so much has happened in three weeks!

We successfully hosted another JMB weekend (see my last post for a description) and it was a great time as predicted. I met some wonderful prospective students and I hope to see all of them during Destination Johnson weekend (the admitted students weekend) in April!

The Women's Management Council (WMC) also hosted a professional trek to NYC last Friday and for our inaugural trek, it was a success! We visited three companies throughout the day (UBS, Colgate-Palmolive and Accenture) and then capped off the trip with a reception that included many more companies in an informal setting at the Cornell Club. Although it was a long day that started with a 5am bus, it was a good time. Below is a picture of me, Tiffany (my fellow Trek chair) and Adrienne (WMC president extraordinaire) at the reception.



Last weekend also brought the long-awaited (at least to me) Diwali celebration. I had practiced, along with my fellow dancers, for two weeks prior to the event, and it was so exciting to see all of the hard work pay off. I had such an amazing time, just as I was expecting to! There were several dances of varying natures, an explanation of what Diwali is about, a fashion show, and then an all-out dance party to finish the night off. I don't think I have ever smiled and laughed as much as I did that night. I wish it could have lasted longer! Below are some pictures of the fun, specifically our Bollywood dance. I'm the one in the orange, Marina is in the purple, Toral is in the black shirt and cute reddish skirt, Margaux on the right in the red and Mythily is on the right in the pink. What fun!




Sadness. That's the emotion that tempered many of us at the Johnson School last weekend when we found out that a fellow classmate of ours, Chad Russolillo, was involved in a horrific head-on car accident on Friday morning. It had been the first night/morning that we had some typical wintry weather around Ithaca, with a mixture of rain and snow falling through the night. There wasn't much accumulation, but it was enough to make the roads slick. I was on the early bus to NYC for the Women's Management Council trek when we came upon the accident scene. Our bus was delayed for a few hours while the rescue workers diligently rescued our classmate Chad, although we had no idea at the time that it was him. He is currently recovering bravely in a hospital near Binghamton and I'm so glad that he's all right. I know that I speak for everyone at Johnson when I say "Hope to see you around Sage Hall soon!" Another great shock also hit the student body when we found out on Sunday that Professor Robert Frank had had a heart attack last Saturday. Thankfully he is also recovering nicely and we also look forward to seeing him around Sage Hall soon!